Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Christmas comes to the Lusaka Central Prison

Keeping with my habit of being ridiculously behind with my blog, I write today to tell a story of a very special event that took place 2 weeks ago. The story begins much further back, however, with an email that arrived shortly before Christmas from my brother's good friend, Blaine Armstrong. I was surprised to see his name in my inbox, as I had never received an email from him before, and I was even more surprised when I opened it up and read what he had to say.

My brother has always maintained that Blaine is a "good guy" and my brother is certainly not one to exaggerate. Blaine is such a good guy, in fact, that he was writing to ask me if I would make a Christmas donation on his behalf to people in the community of Lusaka! I was very touched, and very excited to be able to help Christmas joy spread from one side of the globe to the other.

Unfortunately, with all the work to finish and planning to do before I left for my holiday, I was unable to organize anything before Christmas. When I got back to Lusaka , however, I teamed up with a few colleagues to figure out what the best place for Blaine 's donation would be. One of my Zambian colleagues, Godfrey, runs the Prisons Counselling and Care Association, which works extensively in the prisons, particularly to establish schools so that prisoners can continue their education. When I mentioned the donation to him, he felt it could be put to very good use in the female section of the Lusaka Central Prison: there had been food shortages the previous week, some prisoners had small children to care for, and the school was in need of new supplies.

Blaine and his big heart agreed that the prison was a suitable place to spread some belated Christmas joy, so the next day Godfrey and I were off shopping with a list he had received from the female prisoners. We purchased:

- 20 bags of sugar
- 2 tins of powdered milk
- 12 bottles of cooking oil
- 10 cloth diapers
- 60 pens
- 40 pencils
- 10 boxes of chalk
- 150 exercise books
- 1 tin of black paint to make a chalk board
- a padlock for their school room
- 10 wash basins
- a case of laundry detergent paste
- 72 bars of bath soap
- a box of chlorine (to purify water)
- and supplies to fix their stove

Godfrey told every person whose path we crossed on our shopping trip about the donation, and the feedback was very positive. We even ran into a former prisoner who had attended the school for male prisoners set up by Godfrey, and who was very pleased to hear about what we were doing. I was offered many blessings, which I explained should not be for me, and promised I would pass them on to their rightful recipient back in Canada.

We delivered the gifts the following day. This is the description I sent in an email to Blaine:

~

"I met Godfrey at his office on Friday morning at 8am and we loaded up all the goods and headed for the prison. We had to hang around outside the gate for quite a while waiting for the responsible prison official to sign us in and organize our visit to the female section. The wait was eventful though, as I got to meet all sorts of passers-by (prisoners and guards alike) who were all extremely pleased to hear about why I was there. Finally, a whole group of female prisoners showed up to help us carry all of the goods over to their section. I had some bags in my hand, but they refused to let me carry anything and so I just watched as they heaved everything up on their heads and led me back to their compound.

Although I didn't see the inside of the male section, it seems to me that the women lucked out with their section of the prison. It is little more than a fenced-in area of land beside the main prison where they live mostly in the open. There are a few dormitories, a kitchen, and a toilet/ shower facility, but the rest of the area is open space with quite a few trees for shade, which gave it a much less 'institutional' or 'prison' feeling to it. Of course, it was sunny and dry when I happened to be there, and I'm sure on rainy, windy or cold days it is not a luxury at all to be so exposed to the elements. But at that moment, it was pleasant to arrive at the compound to see women out in the open air, gathered under the trees, cooking and doing laundry or other work.

We had to wait again once inside the female compound while Godfrey fetched the prison official that was to join us. The women arranged a nice place for myself and the two gentlemen I was with (the prison Chaplain and a co-worker of Godfrey's) to sit in the shade while we waited. In the meantime, the women gathered together under the trees and set up and area for the "ceremony". A few minutes later they called us over to sit under the tree in front of them, a crowd of approximately 100 women. As we sat down, they all stood and began singing. I wish there was some way to describe how beautiful it sounded, but unfortunately the words in my vocabulary would not do justice. They sang about 5 songs while we continued to wait, usually with one woman leading and 2 or 3 different harmonies. A journalist that joined us translated the lyrics for me and explained that the songs were about leaving behind their bad behaviour of the past and reforming, about redemption from God, and about asking to be loved as all others in society are loved.

Eventually Godfrey came over with the head of the female section and the deputy officer in charge of the whole prison. The "ceremony", as everyone was referring to it, began with a prayer by the Chaplain and opening remarks by the deputy officer. Then Godfrey made a lengthy but inspiring speech, referring to his own time in prison and emphasizing how, thanks to your donation, each woman was being given the chance to continue studying and use their education to move on once they are released. There was lots of clapping, cheering and tongue-wobbling hoots, and you and your family were praised often. Godfrey then asked me to speak, which I wasn't expecting. I was a bit nervous so I didn't say much, but let them know that I was very happy to be there, that I was sure you would be very happy to know that your donation had gone to such a good cause, and that I would be sure to pass on their thanks to you. I had also prepared a card to say "This donation is made on behalf of Blaine Armstrong and his family in Calgary, Canada ", which I presented to the deputy officer in charge, who said he would post it in the schoolroom. They also requested that I officially 'present' the donation to the women, so four of the prisoners with small children timidly came forward and I presented them each with an item from the pile of goodies.

Before we left there was another speech by the deputy officer in charge, which was a bit boring, except for the part about how wonderful and generous Canadians are:) The 'ceremony' closed with another prayer, and more glorious singing as we left the compound.

It was a very happy occasion that I felt very privileged to be a part of. I am just sorry that you were not there to be a part of it. I was also unable to take photos, as the person who needed to grant me permission to do so was in a meeting, but the deputy officer promised he would invite me back to take pictures of your donation being put to good use. I send Godfrey a message today to see when I might be able to do so, and he said he would follow it up. So I'll keep you posted.

Thank you again, from myself, Godfrey, the prison officials and all the women who are probably busy feeding, washing and educating themselves with your donation!"

~

Thanks, Blaine, for your donation and for allowing me to share your story with everyone. If those of you reading this are interested in making a donation to people in Zambia, just let me know and I would be happy to help out. The prisons will always be in need of supplies, and I am working with a fellow Canadian who works at a development-through-sport NGO to help a community coach fundraise to send 10 kids to school (more information to be posted shortly). I am also part of a team that is planning one of the first secondary schools for orphans and vulnerable children in Zambia (more information to be posted shortly) so there is no shortage of worthwhile places to direct any of that pesky extra cash getting in your way!!

I think this is also a good opportunity to reiterate my thanks to the long list of people that made donations to VSO – there may not have been singing or speeches involved, but your donations have made a big difference to my life, and to the lives of those that benefit from the work of VSO volunteers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home