Zambians Beware!
Look out Zambia, Ashley’s on her way! That’s right, as you may have caught on from the terribly crass title of my blog I am headed to Africa. To Zambia to be precise, the heart of the Sub-Saharan. Yes, as of October one more wild animal will be wandering the plains of the Zambezi…. Here’s the story:
I was selected for a 6-month, CIDA-funded internship with VSO Canada. VSO is an organization that "promotes volunteering to fight global poverty, by supporting people to share skills, creativity and learning with communities around the world. " Volunteers work together with some of the world's most disadvantaged people to help them fulfil their potential and end poverty.
I will be working in Lusaka, the capital of Zambia, with The Network of Zambian People Living Positively with HIV/AIDS (NZP+). The mission of NZP+ is to provide support to Zambians living with HIV/AIDS and to help give the pandemic a 'human face'. They are engaged in a variety of activities, including awareness raising, lobbying government for the procurement of HIV-related drugs, protecting human rights, developing opportunities for income generation, and advocating for greater participation of people with HIV/AIDS in decision-making. My position is as a Fundraiser, which will involve a wide range of activities, such as the development budget monitoring tools, training staff on raising support for their organization, writing proposals for funding from international donors, etc. I don't imagine it will be easy, but I'm certainly excited about it.
LAST BUT NOT LEAST, I should mention that as a VSO volunteer I am committed to fundraising in order to support VSO’s efforts to send volunteers all over the world to share their skills. My fundraising target is a modest $500, but I will need lots of support to get there. If anyone is interested in contributing, your support would mean a lot to me and would be very appreciated by VSO. You can contact me or make a donation directly to VSO by post, over the phone or online. Donations of any amount are welcome, and any donation of $10 or more is eligible for a tax receipt. Just make sure you remember to put my name as the volunteer you are supporting!
That’s all for now. Check back regularly for more updates….
I was selected for a 6-month, CIDA-funded internship with VSO Canada. VSO is an organization that "promotes volunteering to fight global poverty, by supporting people to share skills, creativity and learning with communities around the world. " Volunteers work together with some of the world's most disadvantaged people to help them fulfil their potential and end poverty.
I will be working in Lusaka, the capital of Zambia, with The Network of Zambian People Living Positively with HIV/AIDS (NZP+). The mission of NZP+ is to provide support to Zambians living with HIV/AIDS and to help give the pandemic a 'human face'. They are engaged in a variety of activities, including awareness raising, lobbying government for the procurement of HIV-related drugs, protecting human rights, developing opportunities for income generation, and advocating for greater participation of people with HIV/AIDS in decision-making. My position is as a Fundraiser, which will involve a wide range of activities, such as the development budget monitoring tools, training staff on raising support for their organization, writing proposals for funding from international donors, etc. I don't imagine it will be easy, but I'm certainly excited about it.
LAST BUT NOT LEAST, I should mention that as a VSO volunteer I am committed to fundraising in order to support VSO’s efforts to send volunteers all over the world to share their skills. My fundraising target is a modest $500, but I will need lots of support to get there. If anyone is interested in contributing, your support would mean a lot to me and would be very appreciated by VSO. You can contact me or make a donation directly to VSO by post, over the phone or online. Donations of any amount are welcome, and any donation of $10 or more is eligible for a tax receipt. Just make sure you remember to put my name as the volunteer you are supporting!
That’s all for now. Check back regularly for more updates….


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home