Summer Lovin’, Happened So Fast...
And yes, I
Had Me A Blast, even though it has possibly been the most hectic summer of my life. It began by bidding farewell to all the wonderful friends I met in Norwich. Between Xavi and myself we had about three farewell parties, and I definitely shed my fair share of tears. Hopefully they all know that I haven’t forgotten about them, even though I haven’t had time to write!!
My arrival in Canada was a happy one, as I managed to re-route
myself directly to Calgary, where I spent five days hanging out with my brother Spencer and his girlfriend Jen. We hit the Stampede, caught a rockin’ Sam Roberts concert, and even managed to squeeze in some Dim Sum. Mmmmmmm. I also had the pleasure of spending time with my friend Page and her then-fiancé Scott, who treated me to a dinner of Bison steaks and took me out in a canoe (I know, what were they thinking?!!) on the Glenmore Reserve.
I arrived in Victoria just in time for a low-key birthday celebration where my big present was the discovery that I have GREY HAIRS! At least they match rapidly expanding wrinkles I seem to have acquired. The next day I was in Vancouver for a surprisingly enjoyable VSO Assessm
ent Day, which must have gone well I suppose, seeing as they decided to accept me (once again, what were they thinking?!!). I spent the next four days in Victoria fussing and fretting as I began the construction of a table for Page and Scott’s upcoming wedding. With the help of my partner in crime, Jozi, we miraculously managed to get it finished in time, and it even looked okay.
The Cowley-Murphy wedding was a blast. All the fun it promised to be and more. The stagette was a flash back to the days of high school recklessness, as we had our alcohol confiscated from us by the Bylaw Officers at Durance Lake. Oops! Thankfully we weren’t arrested and could make it downtown for a lovely dinner at the Tapa Bar and a night of wild (and I mean WILD) dancing at Darcy’s. I think it’s safe to say we celebrated Page’s last night of freedom with a bang. The wedd
ing itself was beautiful and, of course, emotional, which became all-too-obvious as I sniffled my way through a speech to the bride and groom. Tears gave way to more wild dancing, however, as we all made the best of the open bar and partied the night away (some of us longer than others…).
After the wedding I was off to Ottawa for a six-day VSO training course in Skills for Working in Development. I was anticipating dullsville, but was pleasantly surprised by what turned out to be a fun, interesting and educational course. VSO really knows their stuff. I was also fortunate enough to meet 17 other VSO volunteers of all ages, heading to all parts of the world, and all Fantastic. But then I guess it would be hard for me not to get along with people who are willing to pack up their lives for two years to go off to Ghana, Cambo
dia, Rwanda, Zambia, Eritrea, Malawi, Uganda, Nepal, Guyana or the Gambia and work for practically nothing helping some of the world’s most disadvantaged people. Needless to say, fantastic people made for fun times, including a private tour of Parliament compliments of Jill’s connections.
Photo courtesy of: David Mitenko
Upon arriving home from Ottawa I set into panic mode, remembering that I had a dissertation to finish in approximately 16 days. I worked like a Busy Little Beaver, but did tak
e a few breaks, the most notable of which was to do a 2 day power backpacking trip on the Juan de Fuca Trail with Spencer, Jen and my Mom. It was an intense, but sunny, bear-free, and absolutely beautiful 9km hike in, followed by a wonderful night of camping on Bear Beach. There was only one minor incident, involving me
(of course) with a full-body rash that threw my mother into a frenzy looking for escape routes should I need to be rushed to the hospital. Fortunately, it was easily solved by some better-prepared neighbours carrying antihistamine.
Somehow, despite my illegal hiking break, I managed to get my dissertation finished. It was a joyous moment as I arrived at UPS on Friday (20 minutes before closing time) and sent it off to England. My Masters is now officially over, a bittersweet (but mostly sweet) moment. To all those of you who have just finished, or are still finishing your dissertations, my congratulations go out to you for surviving an incredibly intense year. I’m sure we all had moments when we thought we wouldn’t make it, and I would like to thank all of you for being there for me when I had mine – I couldn’t have done it without you.
Now I am at home (Aug 31) in Victoria, sipping wine and relaxing after a three day training course in Vancouver to learn how to be an IEP (Intercultural Effective Person!). It was generally a little dull, but it was a good excuse to visit friends and family there. The highlight of the course was this morning when myself and Drew, who will be working with me in Zambia, had the chance to speak to Mr. Shamatutu, a man from Zambia who shared lots of useful and inspirational information with us (including that the going price of internet access in a Lusaka Cyber Cafe is $10.50 a minute! So perhaps don't expect TOO much communication over the six months I am away... ).
On September 6th I leave for El Salvador to visit Xavi, who has been living and working there for two months. I arrive home on September 20th, eight days before I am off to Zambia on my next adventure. It’s a tough life, be glad I’m doing it ;).
My arrival in Canada was a happy one, as I managed to re-route
myself directly to Calgary, where I spent five days hanging out with my brother Spencer and his girlfriend Jen. We hit the Stampede, caught a rockin’ Sam Roberts concert, and even managed to squeeze in some Dim Sum. Mmmmmmm. I also had the pleasure of spending time with my friend Page and her then-fiancé Scott, who treated me to a dinner of Bison steaks and took me out in a canoe (I know, what were they thinking?!!) on the Glenmore Reserve.I arrived in Victoria just in time for a low-key birthday celebration where my big present was the discovery that I have GREY HAIRS! At least they match rapidly expanding wrinkles I seem to have acquired. The next day I was in Vancouver for a surprisingly enjoyable VSO Assessm
ent Day, which must have gone well I suppose, seeing as they decided to accept me (once again, what were they thinking?!!). I spent the next four days in Victoria fussing and fretting as I began the construction of a table for Page and Scott’s upcoming wedding. With the help of my partner in crime, Jozi, we miraculously managed to get it finished in time, and it even looked okay.The Cowley-Murphy wedding was a blast. All the fun it promised to be and more. The stagette was a flash back to the days of high school recklessness, as we had our alcohol confiscated from us by the Bylaw Officers at Durance Lake. Oops! Thankfully we weren’t arrested and could make it downtown for a lovely dinner at the Tapa Bar and a night of wild (and I mean WILD) dancing at Darcy’s. I think it’s safe to say we celebrated Page’s last night of freedom with a bang. The wedd
ing itself was beautiful and, of course, emotional, which became all-too-obvious as I sniffled my way through a speech to the bride and groom. Tears gave way to more wild dancing, however, as we all made the best of the open bar and partied the night away (some of us longer than others…). Photo courtesy of: E. Houlston
After the wedding I was off to Ottawa for a six-day VSO training course in Skills for Working in Development. I was anticipating dullsville, but was pleasantly surprised by what turned out to be a fun, interesting and educational course. VSO really knows their stuff. I was also fortunate enough to meet 17 other VSO volunteers of all ages, heading to all parts of the world, and all Fantastic. But then I guess it would be hard for me not to get along with people who are willing to pack up their lives for two years to go off to Ghana, Cambo
dia, Rwanda, Zambia, Eritrea, Malawi, Uganda, Nepal, Guyana or the Gambia and work for practically nothing helping some of the world’s most disadvantaged people. Needless to say, fantastic people made for fun times, including a private tour of Parliament compliments of Jill’s connections.Photo courtesy of: David Mitenko
Upon arriving home from Ottawa I set into panic mode, remembering that I had a dissertation to finish in approximately 16 days. I worked like a Busy Little Beaver, but did tak
e a few breaks, the most notable of which was to do a 2 day power backpacking trip on the Juan de Fuca Trail with Spencer, Jen and my Mom. It was an intense, but sunny, bear-free, and absolutely beautiful 9km hike in, followed by a wonderful night of camping on Bear Beach. There was only one minor incident, involving me Somehow, despite my illegal hiking break, I managed to get my dissertation finished. It was a joyous moment as I arrived at UPS on Friday (20 minutes before closing time) and sent it off to England. My Masters is now officially over, a bittersweet (but mostly sweet) moment. To all those of you who have just finished, or are still finishing your dissertations, my congratulations go out to you for surviving an incredibly intense year. I’m sure we all had moments when we thought we wouldn’t make it, and I would like to thank all of you for being there for me when I had mine – I couldn’t have done it without you.
Now I am at home (Aug 31) in Victoria, sipping wine and relaxing after a three day training course in Vancouver to learn how to be an IEP (Intercultural Effective Person!). It was generally a little dull, but it was a good excuse to visit friends and family there. The highlight of the course was this morning when myself and Drew, who will be working with me in Zambia, had the chance to speak to Mr. Shamatutu, a man from Zambia who shared lots of useful and inspirational information with us (including that the going price of internet access in a Lusaka Cyber Cafe is $10.50 a minute! So perhaps don't expect TOO much communication over the six months I am away... ).
On September 6th I leave for El Salvador to visit Xavi, who has been living and working there for two months. I arrive home on September 20th, eight days before I am off to Zambia on my next adventure. It’s a tough life, be glad I’m doing it ;).


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home